Galveston County Defensive Driving
If you've recently received a ticket in Galveston County, whether in League City, the city of Galveston, Dickinson, or another city, you may be able to have it dismissed by taking a defensive driving course (which the Galveston County Court refers to as a driving safety course). Here's what you need to know and how to start the process:
To have your ticket dismissed in Galveston County, you may request a driving safety course in person, by mail, or online, on or before your citation due date. You must contact the Court to ask if your ticket is eligible for dismissal. In Galveston County, you may be eligible for the course if you have not completed a driving safety course for dismissal of a citation within the past 12 months and your citation is not in failure to appear status.
There are some traffic offenses that are exceptions and defendants charged with those offenses are not eligible for a driving safety course. The following traffic offenses are exceptions from taking a driving safety course:
- Offense committed by a commercial driver's license (CDL) holder (Article 45.0511(a), C.C.P.)
- Offense committed in construction and maintenance zone when workers are present (Sections 472.002, 543.404, and 729.004, T.C.)
- Offense of speeding 25 miles or more over the posted limit (Article 45.0511(c)(4), C.C.P.)
- Offense of passing a school bus loading or unloading children
- Offense of leaving an accident scene after causing damage to a vehicle (Article 45.0511(p), C.C.P.)
Request by mail
Requests by certified mail must include the following:
- A written statement requesting the opportunity to take a driving safety course for the dismissal of the citation. Said request must include a plea of Guilty or No Contest and a sworn statement that you have not completed a driving safety course within the last 12 months for dismissal of another citation and must be received by the court on or before your citation due date.
- A copy of your citation.
- A copy of your current insurance policy (the insurance must be in your name or you must be a listed driver on the policy).
- A copy of your valid Texas driver's license.
- A $114 payment in the form of a cashier's check or money order. Do not put cash in the mail.
- A $139 payment in the form of a cashier's check or money order, if your citation is for speeding in a school zone.
- If the issue date on your citation is prior to January 1, 2014 and was not in a school zone, you must submit a cashier's check or money order for $112. If your citation was issued in a school zone, prior to January 1, 2014, you must submit a cashier's check or money order for $137.
You'll also need to order your certified Texas Driving Record, which all Texas courts will require in addition to your course Certificate of Completion.
Failure to complete course or submit forms
If you do not complete the course and submit the completion forms to the Galveston County Court in the time period prescribed, your case will be set for a show cause hearing by written notice to you at the last known address on file with the Court. It is your responsibility to update any address change with the Court. Failing to appear at the case hearing will result in the issuance of a capias warrant for your arrest and a conviction on your driving record.