How to Apply for a Learner's Permit in Texas
Written by Staff Writer
To receive a leaner's permit, students must be at least 15 years old and must have begun or completed an online driver education course. With both our Parent-Taught Driver Education and Texas Online Driver Ed courses, students can conveniently take their permit exam online once they've completed the first course module. Students will receive a certificate to bring when they apply for their Texas learner's permit at the DPS. This means they will not have to take an in-person test — the certificate shows they've fulfilled that requirement by passing our online permit exam.
Choose a TexasDrivingSchool.com Course:
- Those seeking a Texas Learner's Permit can choose between two courses: Texas Online Drivers Education or Parent-Taught Drivers Education. Learn more about which course is right for you.
- For both courses, once Module 1 is complete, students who are at least 15 years old may apply for their Texas learner's permit online.
Apply for a Texas Learner's Permit
Once the above requirements have been met, students can make an appointment at their nearest Texas DPS to apply for a Texas learner's permit. A parent/legal guardian must be present at this appointing (regardless of which driver ed course they are using).
Besides their completion certificate showing they've passed the DPS permit exam online, the required forms that must be brought to the DPS include:
- Proof of Identification
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of US Citizenship
- Proof of Texas Residency
- A Verification of Enrollment and Attendance form to verify school enrollment (or a high school diploma or GED).
- Any forms included within the PTDE Program Guide (for PTDE students only)
NOTE: If the student does not pass the online permit exam, they will need to retake it at the DPS.
After the student has obtained a learner's permit, he or she can begin their behind-the-wheel (BTW) training. Once the course and behind-the-wheel training requirements are met, the student may apply for a Texas provisional driver's license.
If you have any questions while taking the course, we offer 24/7 customer support.