How to Dismiss a Traffic Ticket in Texas
A traffic ticket doesn't have to negatively impact your life or driving record. By following these easy steps, you can get your Texas traffic ticket dismissed and get back to driving.
- First make sure you are eligible to have the ticket dismissed. It is up to the county court where you received the ticket whether you can take the course to dismiss the ticket or reduce points on your license.
- If the court approves you to take a driving safety course, you are eligible to take our 100% online, easy and simple defensive driving course.
- Factors that may make you ineligible for defensive driving include:
- You hold a Texas Commercial Driver's License
- You have dismissed a traffic ticket within the last 12 months
- You refuse to plead "no contest." You cannot plead "not guilty" and still take the course.
- You received a speeding ticket for more than 25 miles per hour over the speed limit.
- Register for the Texas Online Defensive Driving Course. Make sure it is the person who got the traffic ticket that registers, not another family member or friend, as this will also be the name on the Certificate of Completion.
- Order your Certified Texas Driving Record, which all Texas courts will require in addition to your Certificate of Completion. The court should notify you if it is needed, or contact the county court where you received the ticket if you are unsure.
- Certified driving records ordered from Defensive Driving to Go are delivered by email.
- Not sure if you need your driving record? No worries, you are able to order your driving record at any time, even after you have completed the course.
- Once you are registered you can begin the 100% online Texas Defensive Driving course. Log in and out as much as you like, the test will pick back up where you left off, however the course must be completed within three months of registering. The course is user-friendly and section quizzes can be taken multiple times. The American Safety Council also provides 24/7 customer assistance.
- Once you have completed the easy and painless course, we will process your digital certificate.
- The digital certificate will be available for download in your account within 7 days of graduation. Expedited mailed options are also available during checkout.
- You can choose between second day mail or overnight delivery to the address you supplied at login. It is very important that you provide a valid address. Failure to do so can result in your ticket not getting dismissed, even if you have completed the course.
- Once you have received both the Certificate of Completion and your Certified Texas Driving Record, submit them to the court. Check with the county court where you got the ticket as to how you should submit them, you may need to go to the court in person.
- Within a month or so, check your driving record again to ensure the points have been removed from your license.
- Enjoy no longer having a traffic ticket on your Texas driving record!