Comal County Defensive Driving
If you've recently received a ticket in Comal County, whether New Braunfels, San Antonio, or another city, you may be able to have it dismissed by taking a defensive driving course (which is also referred to as a driving safety course). Here's what you need to know and how to start the process:
First, make sure you are eligible to have the ticket dismissed. It is up to the Comal County Court to determine whether you can take a defensive driving course/driver safety course to dismiss the ticket. You must contact the Court to ask if your ticket is eligible for dismissal. If the court approves you to take a course, you are eligible to take our 100% online, easy and simple Texas Defensive Driving course.
In Comal County, you may be able to have your traffic ticket be dismissed by successfully completing a driving safety course. You are not allowed to take a defensive driving course if you are ticketed for passing a school bus. You will lose that right, if on or before your appearance date you do not provide the court with notice of your request to take the course. You must complete this affidavit and mail it to the Comal County Court along with proof of insurance and driver's license:
Additional requirements for eligibility:
- You have not taken a Driver Safety Course within the last 12-month period. It must have been a complete 12 months
- You are not in the process of taking a Drivers Safety Course for another ticket in another Court
- Your ticket did not involve passing a school bus
You must provide the Comal County Court with:
- Green ticket or copy of ticket
- A copy of your valid Texas Driver's License and a copy of your liability insurance
- Payment of $118.60 (Non-Refundable court cost and administrative fee in the form of a money order or cashier's check payable to Justice of the peace, Pct. Three)
- A copy of your driver's record (Form 3a) — you can obtain one through American Safety Council here
- Cannot be going 95 mph or more or 25 mph or more over the posted speed limit
- If you hold a Commercial Driver's License (regardless if the violation occurred in your private vehicle)
- Ticketed for passing a school bus
You can read more at the Comal County Court website and you can access their Defensive Driving Request Form here. If the Court approves you to take the course, you can register for our Texas Defensive Driving course. Make sure it is the person who got the traffic ticket that registers, not another family member or friend, as this will also be the name on the Certificate of Completion.
You will also need to provide your Certified Texas Driving Record, which all Texas courts will require in addition to your Certificate of Completion.
Once you've registered, you can begin the Texas Defensive Driving course. Log in and out as much as you like, the test will pick back up where you left off, however the course must be completed within three months of registering. The course is user-friendly and section quizzes can be taken multiple times. The American Safety Council also provides 24/7 customer assistance via live chat and email.
After you've completed the easy and painless course, we will process your Certificate of Completion. The certificate will be available for download in your account within 7 days of graduation. Expedited mailed options are also available during checkout. If an expedited mailed option is selected, it is very important that you provide a valid address. Failure to do so can result in your ticket not getting dismissed, even if you have completed the course.
Once you have received both the Certificate of Completion and your Certified Texas Driving Record, submit them to the Comal County Court, per their instruction.