Hays County Defensive Driving
If you've recently received a ticket in Hays County, whether in Kyle, San Marcos, Buda, or another city, you may be able to have it dismissed by taking a defensive driving course (which is also referred to as a driving safety course). Here's what you need to know and how to start the process:
First, make sure you are eligible to have the ticket dismissed. It is up to the Hays County Court to determine whether you can take a defensive driving course/driver safety course to dismiss the ticket. You must contact the Court to ask if your ticket is eligible for dismissal. If the court approves you to take a course — the Hays County Request For Defensive Driving Affidavit can be found here — then you are eligible to take our 100% online, easy and simple Texas Defensive Driving course.
Under the laws of the State of Texas, you may be able to require that one ticket be dismissed by taking a driving safety course. However, you must provide written notice of your intent to the Hays County Court on or before the appearance date as shown on your citation.
Note about ineligibility: A person who holds a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is not eligible to take a Driving Safety Course to dismiss the charge nor is the Court allowed, by law, to grant a deferred sentence. Also, if your charge is for a Construction/Maintenance Zone Violation (with workers present) or Passing a School Bus Loading or Unloading you are NOT eligible to take a Driving Safety Course or receive a deferred sentence.
In Hays County, your ticket may be eligible for dismissal by completing a driving safety course provided the following requirements are met:
- You are charged with a moving traffic violation other than speeding 25 miles or more above the posted speed limit
- You have not used this option during the preceding 12 months and you are not in the process of using this option for another offense
- You have a valid Texas Driver's License
- You provide the Court with proof of financial responsibility (insurance) that complies with state laws
- You provide a copy of your driving record and a certificate of course completion approved by the State of Texas (Due date will be given by the Court)
If requesting the driving safety course option, read and have the Hays County Court form notarized and return to the Court with your proof of financial responsibility (insurance), copy of driver's license and your fee on or before your appearance date as shown on your citation.
The driving safety course court fee in Hays County is $110.00.
Second, register for our Texas Defensive Driving course. Make sure it is the person who got the traffic ticket that registers, not another family member or friend, as this will also be the name on the Certificate of Completion.
Third, order your Certified Texas Driving Record, which all Texas courts will require in addition to your Certificate of Completion.
Once you've registered, you can begin the Texas Defensive Driving course. Log in and out as much as you like, the test will pick back up where you left off, however the course must be completed within three months of registering. The course is user-friendly and section quizzes can be taken multiple times. The American Safety Council also provides 24/7 customer assistance via live chat and email.
After you've completed the easy and painless course, we will process your Certificate of Completion the same day. The certificate will be mailed to the address you supplied at login, so it is very important that you provide a valid address. Failure to do so can result in your ticket not getting dismissed, even if you have completed the course.
Once you have received both the Certificate of Completion and your Certified Texas Driving Record, submit them to the Hays County Court per their instruction.
Defensive Driving CourseRegister Now!
Available in Spanish
Driver Education Adult Driver Ed
For Ages 18-24 Defensive Driving
for Driver Safety
Popular Texas Cities
- Select City
- Amarillo Defensive Driving
- Arlington Defensive Driving
- Austin Defensive Driving
- Brownsville Defensive Driving
- Corpus Christi Defensive Driving
- Dallas Defensive Driving
- Denton Defensive Driving
- El Paso Defensive Driving
- Frisco Defensive Driving
- Fort Worth Defensive Driving
- Garland Defensive Driving
- Houston Defensive Driving
- Irving Defensive Driving
- Killeen Defensive Driving
- Laredo Defensive Driving
- Lubbock Defensive Driving
- McKinney Defensive Driving
- Mesquite Defensive Driving
- Midland Defensive Driving
- Pasadena Defensive Driving
- Plano Defensive Driving
- San Antonio Defensive Driving
- Waco Defensive Driving
- Approved Online Training
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Log On and Off As Needed